Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Early Morning Ride

This morning I met up with Matt, my colavita south teammate for a training ride. I Got up early this morning to get my gear on the motorcycle and headed out at 6am. Got to the office at 6:25am and got my cycling gear on in time to meet Matt at 6:45, our start time.

We did the 20 mile Hill Ride in Arlington, VA. Who knew Arlington was so hilly. This is the kind of ride that even if you decide to go easy, your heart rate's going to jump up due to all the up and down climbing. At the beginning of the ride Matt put in a huge effort up the second hill and I wasn't even warmed up yet. Matt commutes in on his bicycle so he was nice and loose by the time we started. I thought to myself if he continues at this pace I'm in trouble. The effort hurt him a bit though. After that we settled into a nice rhythm and finished the ride in about an hour.

Towards the end of the ride, Matt and I started talking about baseball. I actually brought it up. When I first met Matt I came to find out he was also an ex college/pro baseball player. AND get this, he was a catcher just like I was in my baseball days.

Matt got drafted out of high school as a catcher by the Cleveland Indians back in 1992. He decided to go to school first and played at the University of Indiana, THE Hoosiers BABY !!!!. He then got drafted again in 96 by the Florida Marlins. Awesome!!!!

As for me, I got drafted back in 1995 by the New York Mets out of high school as a catcher as well. I decided to go to school first also. I played two years at Cochise Junior College in Arizona and then transferred to NMSU to continue playing.

To get to the point, what are the chances to ex ball players who turn cyclist come to meet each other. Pretty cool huh? He also works in the building right next to me. I got Matt to join our team early in the fall of 07. By the way, he's a monster on the bike and has just CAT up to 4 from 5.

thanks for reading.

No comments: