Friday, June 6, 2008

Bike Jam Race Report

The race reports are bit late but here they are. Bike jam is a race I always enjoy doing. Mainly for the atmosphere. Its really just a big festival of bikes and some intense bike racing. My favorite part of the day is watching the pros race. Its a whole another level watching those guys. We actually took the whole family to the race. It was a great task for my wife to keep track of both a 2 week old baby and an active 19 month old. My wife did awesome. I owe her big time for that. After the races we headed off to the Ocean City for some fun on the beach and a visit with my in-laws. The weather was beautiful that weekend. A bit more on that later, but here's the race report:

I started off doing the 30+ /40+ race combined. I didn't get much warm up before the race only because I was helping my wife find a suitable place to set up camp to watch the race. After doing that and getting dressed I only had 20 minutes to warm up. I believe the field was 100 strong if I'm not mistaken. Not having any teammates I was going to have to race smart. I wasn't able to do much. I spent to much time on the front early on covering moves but being a one man show I couldn't cover everything. I decided to fade back in the peleton a bit to get some recovery. When I did I missed the winning break. I went up to the front again to see if I could work on pulling them back with the help of those not represented in the break. It didn't happen. In the end I managed 20th overall. I think the same result as last year :)

An hour later I lined up for the CAT 2/3 race. Again I had no teammates. This race was much faster. I tried to do less work in this race. I pretty much sat mid pack the whole race. I felt good but I just couldn't get in groove as far as moving up. I figured with the pace we had people would start fading and the pack would dwindle off little by little. At one point I looked back and I was the last man (not a good place to be). Damn, had we really shed that many guys already. I hightailed it back to the middle of the pack. I could have swore I came in top 15. I only say that because I finished along side one of my old teammates, Wade Jennnings and they had him 11th in the results. They didn't even have me in the results. I guess the camera angle missed me or something. Oh Well. Overall is was a fun time at least for me. Afterwards when I got to my wife's little campsite she gave me this look like "OK you raced, let's pack up and head to the beach, NOW". YOU GOT IT BABE. Above are some pics of the race courtesy of JIM WILSON and KEVIN DILLARD.

No comments: