Thursday, January 8, 2009

GamJams Reviews: Best cycling gift - GARMIN Forerunner 305

My lovely wife surprised me with a new training gadget for the holidays, the Garmin Forerunner 305. She said it was the only gift I knew I wasn't getting :) How many other wives do you know contribute to your cycling addiction by giving you a gift that may keep you out of the house for a few more hours. Unless Hmmmmm.

First let me start by saying I'm not into bike gadgets. I don't do bike computers or power meters. I do always use a heart rate monitor though.

BUT that's not to say I don't like running gadgetry. When I run I always like to know my pace and speed as well as calories burned. She figured this would work perfect for me.

The Garmin Forerunner 305 is a wrist mounted GPS unit. Its simple enough to use and the best thing about it, is the software. Its cool how you can map your training rides or runs. You can store and track all your workout history from your total mileage, avg speed, total elevation, to total calories burned etc.. You also have the option of toggling between bike mode, running mode or other sport.

The kicker is I've used it more on my training rides and than on my runs. I may have to eat my words about bike gadgets!! BUT I still don't see myself joining any power meter geeks any time soon. Sorry guys ;)

5 comments:

Steven Montoya said...

What a cool gift! I have been eyeing those for a while now so update again after several months of using it. I use my ipod nano with the nike+ sport kit but it bugs to have to wear so much stuff to run.

Anonymous said...

the 305 is lighter, smaller, easier on battery, much cheaper, and offers the same cycling data.

Anonymous said...

The eccentricities of GPS create erratic graphic charts postmortem, due to the inaccuracies built-in to the satellite-based system

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I really like being able to see the time, H/R, speed,distance,cadence,etc including the average for all of them all at once.