Friday, September 26, 2008

Polar Gadgets







About a month ago I purchased the Polar RS200 with the foot pod. It's a watch/heart rate monitor/time&distance all in one. I've never been one for training gadgets. I strictly train on what my heart rate tells me. I'm not into power meters, hell I don't even use a bike computer. Like I said, I monitor time and heart rate.

So instead of sitting in my office for lunch, I decided to use my Polar RS200 w/ foot pod on my Iwo Jima loop. The loop itself starts from the Golds Gym in Rosslyn. It heads out to the GW Bike Path/MT. Vernon trail then across the 14th street bridge to the tidal basin by the Jefferson Memorial then along Ohio Drive to the Lincoln Memorial then across Memorial Bridge. From Memorial Bridge you go straight up by the entrance to the Arlington Cemetery then down along the perimeter of the Arlington Cemetery up the hill to Iwo Jima then back into Rosslyn.

Here is what my Polar RS200 recorded.
Total Time 43 min 47 seconds
Distance: 6.61 miles
Avg mile pace was 6:37
Max Heart Rate: 200 bpm
Avg Heart Rate: 155 bpm
Total Calories Burned 935

It's pretty damn accurate. I think the actual loop is pretty close to the distance recorded. My pace was pretty good despite the windy conditions and the climb up to Iwo Jima from the GW Parkway. I have to say it's a good piece of running equipment. I find that it pushes me to maintain or better my avg mile pace during the run.

Oh yeah I have to say that every now and then it so cool to realize that you're running along some of our Nation's greatest history. I think sometimes I take it for granted until I do this run. My favorite monument has to be Iwo Jima.

Take care all. Wish Erin luck this weekend.

2 comments:

Danny Montoya said...

Dude!

Glad to see you have not lost your "run legs" despite becoming a "roadie"!! ;-)

Steven Montoya said...

you still can run bro!