Monday, April 6, 2009

Walkersville and Tysons

I can truly say it was an eventful weekend of racing. The weekend started off with the Walkersville road race. The Pro 1,2,3 race started with a crash about 5-8 minutes in. I got stuck behind it as did a great number of the other riders. We tried like hell to chase back on but with the wind gusting anywhere from 30-50mph we were unsuccessful.

I decided my day wasn't going to be done. To far of a drive to throw in the towel plus I needed the miles. Our little select group started with about 10-12 guys. By the end it was just myself, Eli Hengst (harley), Uncle Pete (NCVC), Eric Obergfell (NCVC), and this other kid with a cannondale kit (sorry bud, I can't remember your name). I should though, I spent the better part of the day with him.

We continued riding keeping a steady tempo. The Masters 35+ race eventually passed us. As we chugged along we came up on the master's field who were stopped on the side of the road due to a crash from our Pro 1,2,3 race. Eventually the pro 1,2,3 field who survived that crash ended up coming around again to where we were all stopped.

Once the accident had been cleared they restarted the pro 1,2,3 race ahead of the masters. Our little select group of five jumped back in the 1,2,3 field and sat in the back as to not disrupt the natural order of the race outcome. Funny how I felt fine riding those last 7 or so miles hard again with the main field. Had it not been for that initial crash 5 minutes into the race I may have still been in that group. As we backed off the 1,2,3 field in the final 200 meters we watch the sprint unfold. We rolled in a few seconds after them and we still got scored. With the field being 75 strong at the start only 25 finished. I was 24th, Uncle Pete was 25th, Eli was 21st,Eric 23rd and cannondale kid 22nd. I really wouldn't call that a result for myself, just a windy ass day on my bike getting some miles.

As for Tysons, I did the CAT 3 only. My legs felt like dog shit from the day before. I went to the front once to see if I could put in a hard effort and my legs just did not agree with me. So I melted back into the middle of the pack for a mindless pack finish.

Below are some pics courtesey of Kyle's wife Amy from the walkersville road race. Solid evidence of our walkersville training ride..haha. I'm in the hammer nutrition kit with the white arm warmers.






1 comment:

Kyle Jones said...

That be Chris Mcgill in the Cannondale kit. A very good mountain biker. The guy is a great guy.